Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:42:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject:   Re: Mirror Site Requirements - Summary thus far...

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> On 2003.07.16 11:54:48 -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
>
> > 4) Tier-1 sites carry "everything" (see below) and are candidates for
> >    being in the TLD but we don't want *too* many sites in the TLD so
> >    not all of the Tier-1's will be in the TLD.  All sites that are in
> >    the TLD will be Tier-1's, well connected, etc.
>
> With regards to carrying everything, I think it should be noted that
> ftp.beastie.tdk.net (half of ftp.freebsd.org), does not carry most of
> the files below pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/.
>
> I don't know if it's important, but it would be a bit silly to create
> requirements that ftp.freebsd.org can't even fulfill :-).

i guess hence the consultation..  but i agree as i also don't carry
branches at all anymore.   this has been discussed in the past as
the usage of the branches tree seems to be a lot of pain for very
little gain from my experience and other comments made here.

it is a lot of very small files which are very rarely looked at
by http/ftp users - so why are we carrying them any more since
this stuff is made available via cvs/cvsup ?

regards,

-jason