Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:53:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Bernhard Froehlich" <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        "martinko" <gamato@users.sf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox and HAL / D-Bus / PulseAudio (?)

On Wed, January 13, 2010 10:29 pm, martinko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As I do run D-Bus but do not run HAL nor PulseAudio on my system I'm
> wondering what are the options and consequences :
> - port option DBUS=on and rc.conf option DBUS=YES but without HAL
> - port option DBUS=off .. what do I lose ?

You need HAL and DBus for CD/DVD Host access.

> - port option PULSEAUDIO=on .. what would I gain ?

PulseAudio did not work until the 3.1.2 portupdate because that includes a
patch to correctly build pulseaudio support. What you gain? You can use
pulseaudio - but when you do not enable it it always falls back to OSS
which is probably fine for almost anybody.

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/