Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:16:11 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hubs <freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TLD cvsup mirrors

--=-jcD9GXFD/MHgOCeeMJQQ

I'm looking for several new cvsup mirrors for the top level domain
(cvsup*.freebsd.org).  My preference is to "promote" sites that have
been working for a while as sites within a country code that feel they
can take on more traffic.  At this point most of the TLD cvsup servers
are in the US (and not to put too fine a point on it a depressing number
are in buffalo.edu because I "temporarily" took over for another server
that went AWOL and I'm just now getting around to looking for a real
replacement...) so sites in other countries are definitely encouraged to
make an offer.  I'd like to diversify it a bit if possible.

Just to give you a feel for what you'd be getting into...  Some of these
sites currently handle as many as 1000 to 2000 connects/day.  From my
experiences if you want to support that many connects/day in a
reasonable fashion it takes a machine that can handle 20 to 30
concurrent connections.  To do that it helps to have learned a few
tricks like making sure to turn off atime on the filesystem the
repository is in, and bumping up kern.maxvnodes to encourage more file
caching.

Thanks.

--=20
                                                Ken Smith