Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:14:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        aduane@juniper.net
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/cfi NOR flash driver

In message: <0FCFCF6165E968449991746EB91D614D010315DA@antipi.jnpr.net>
            "Andrew Duane" <aduane@juniper.net> writes:
: I have the NOR flash driver that Bill Paul wrote for 6.x, and have been
: getting it going on our MIPS-based boards. One major missing piece is
: all the GEOM stuff for making it behave as a disk drive to mount
: filesystems on.

Cool.  Speaking of mips, we have the merged Juniper 6.1 mips code dump
and the community mips2 code base booting on Cavium hardware and the
malta board in simulation.  I hope to test it out on ADM5120 based
hardware sometime this week.

: Is this really missing, or did whoever grabbed it for our 6.1 port just
: get too early a version? If it is missing, is this something that's
: worth back-offering to the FreeBSD community?

I know that John Birrell sent me a nor driver that had been
geomified.  It was on the order of 500 lines or so, but lacked write
support.

I'd be very interested in having a more complete driver in FreeBSD.
It is useful in many contexts....  Ideally against -current, but if it
is a choice of between 'a diff against 6.1' and 'nothing' I'd take the
former.

Warner