Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:01:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing via USB Port

Warren,
=A0
Thanks for your reply. Your answers are usually spot on but this is one of =
those difficult times when the Windows and Linux guys at work laugh their a=
sses off at me for being such a FreeBSD die-hard. I thought it might be a f=
aulty cable or even the printer shot it's wad so I moved it over to a Windo=
ws Vista machine and poof, 15 seconds later it had found it, installed the =
correct driver and printed two pages for me.
=A0
I tried your method below and even though I changed "x" attribute all I got=
 was the following in the /var/log/lpd-errs file:
=A0
Feb 26 11:30:29 FreeBSD1 lpd[1413]: lp: cannot execv(/usr/local/libexec/ps2=
pcl): Exec format error
Feb 26 11:30:29 FreeBSD1 lpd[1412]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA000Fre=
eBSD1.flgmsi.com)

So I added the standard #!/bin/sh line to the beginning of the ps2pcl file =
and nothing printed, not even error messages about what happened. And that =
seems to be what's going on here. I also tried the standard ifhp filter fil=
e=A0shown in the handbook and switched the device from DJ500 to hl1250. Thi=
s is the gs driver that worked before with the apsfilter method when the pr=
inter was on lpt0: The queue shows it's empty with no jobs waiting and the =
log files are void of any evidence of what happened to the job. The printer=
 sits there as if nothing happened.
=A0
I understand these are difficult topics to overcome with FreeBSD as the doc=
s are not always in synch with the OS. But just like before when I had trou=
ble getting this laser printer to work under lpd until I found apsfilter it=
 was difficult. Once I had that method down it was easy to setup again. It'=
s got to be something simple here.
=A0
Thanks again for the advice. If you think of anything else please pass it o=
n. In the meantime I'm still doing google and yahoo searches and will try a=
gain with the #freebsd channel.
=A0