Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:17:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      alex fuchsstadt <afuchs@totum.plaut.de>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: overclocking

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On Jun 11, alex fuchsstadt <afuchs@totum.plaut.de> wrote:
> > I read all the mails about the overclocking theme and it turned to some
> > different but interesting ones.
> > I had a NCR 53C810 too and it died while working with fBSD, I suddenly got
> > a message like: NCR died .........
>
> Well, there is no test for a "dead" NCR chip in the code,
> so you can only have received a message from the timeout
> handler, which warns if no progress has been made for some
> time.

There was a timeout message, sure, but there was a message like (!) NCR
died.... also.
The system was running fBSD 2.1, installation from CDROM.

Do you know whether it's the NCR-chip itself or something different of
the few parts of the small board?

Alexander Fuchsstadt
R/3-Basis
Plaut Software GmbH