Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:48:10 -0500
From:      "Robert Myers" <ccrider@whiterose.net>
To:        "'jason'" <jhunt@blaz.homeip.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: su su

> I am sure this is probably asked a million times a day, and I am most
> likely overlooking something, since I am an idiot.
>
> however, I will still ask the question (since I am an idiot) when
> I login,
> I use a regular account then su when I need to modify things as root.
> Problem is, when I do su, I get this annoying environment prompt:

	Well, I doubt your an idiot, you did ask when you got  into something
you did not know, I know lots of people who would fail forever than ask for
help, now those guys are idiots....

> su-2.04# ..I use bash, and my .profile reflects the correct PS1 info,
> so I don't know what the hell to do.. thanks for any help, if you so
> desire.

	OK. Bash only sources (executes) the .profile when called from login.

	When you are su'ing you are not invoking bash from the login, but
interactively.
When you invoke bash after you are logged in, i.e. from screen or su, bash
looks at
.bashrc

	What I usually do, is something like this:

	in ~/.bash_profile:

	source ~/.bashrc

then put all of my PS1 and 2 nonsense in my .bashrc along with all of the
other noise
that is associated with that. :)

Hope that helps.

Robert Myers