Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:54:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, marcus@marcuscom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Using bit 21 of EFLAGS in user-mode [was: Re: sigreturn: efl

On 16-Nov-01 Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, John Baldwin wrote:

>> > Does it need to keep bit 21 of EFLAGS flipped, or can libpng
>> > set it back and keep knowledge that CPUID is supported?  Or
>> > does that bit need to remain set for CPUID to work?
>>
>> It needs to be able to change it.  If you can change the value of the bit
>> (done
>> by pushf ; pop %eax ; mov %eax,%ebx ; xor $PSL_ID,%eax ; push %eax ; popf ;
>> pushf ; pop %eax ; compare bit PSL_ID of eax ebx to see if they match).
>> The problem is if a signal comes in during the middle of that bit toggling
>> due
>> to a profiling timer.  I think the problem may be that it uses a sequence
>> that
>> leaves the bit set, thus the kernel freaks out thinking that the user has
>> changed a kernel only flag.  The solution is Maxim's patch to make the
>> kernel
>> not care about the flag (which it shouldn't since cpuid is not a privileged
>> instruction).
>
> I just thought perhaps libpng could do something like:
>
>       static int      init_done = 0;
>       static int      cpuid_supported = 0;

>       if (init_done == 0) {
>               block_all_sigs();
>               cpuid_supported = check_cpuid();
>               init_done = 1;
>               unblock_sigs();
>       }
>
> But if it always needs to change the bit, I guess the above doesn't help.

No, that's correct.  The problem is the check_cpuid() function left the state
of the PSL_ID flag bit changed. :)  So you need to change the check_cpuid() to
include a wrapper to save/restore the flags.  Maxim just committed a change to
do this.  I'm not sure if he included the signal blocking though.