Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:17:53 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "David J. Meadows" <dmeadows@ameritech.net>, <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intermittent error

----- Original Message -----
From: David J. Meadows
To: FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:17 AM
Subject: Intermittent error

x10: Transmission error: 90
x10: underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 120 bytes

x10 is listed as the server's PCI ethernet card.  Our thought is the
NIC may be going bad...or it is not configured correctly after
restarting the server last week (a non-computer realted  problem
forced us to have to reboot...).  Clearly we need to run a diagnostic
program from 3COM (it's a 3c90x type card) to see if it will report an
error.  We've not noticed any problems worth mentioning, although
there are some quirks I'll probably need to ask about (relating to
hylafax, one of the ported apps we're running).  Just wondered if
anyone knows that this is definitely a hardware issue or could
possibly be something we missed after restarting the
server...something that needs to be reconfigured.

First tip, HTML mail is frowned on around here.  Many won't respond
based on that alone.

Search the archives for this error.  Although I don't remember exactly
what it is, IIRC it's harmless and part of the OS just doing it's job.
There may be some sysctl variable(s) to set if it is low consistantly
and you want it higher upon start up.  I've seen good explainations of
this before so the archive should help.

Drew