Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:48:46 -0500
From:      "Bryan Bunch" <bryanb@walls-media.com>
To:        "Mike Avery (on the road)" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: why not uucp, instead of smtp and static ip?

> On 25 Jun 99, at 8:58, Mark Conway Wirt wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 07:53:32PM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> > > * Leif Neland (leifn@neland.dk) [990624 19:17]:

> nobody understands
> > >
> > > It seems nowadays nobody knows how to set it up anymore.
> >

> > I Think it's more appropriate to say that "nowadays no MTA seem to
> > understand it" ;-)  I hate issuing static IP's to dialup
> accounts -- even
> > business class, but with both MS Exchange and Lotus's products,
> you have
> > no choice.  They're a bit brain dead....
>
> If someone is running Exchange, Lotus Notes, Groupwise,
> Sendmail, or even Mercury, they are trying to run their own email
> services.  And it would seem to be easiest if they have a fixed IP
> address.
>
> Even if you can remap the IP address for mail.mycustomer.com in
> DNS on the fly, the changes will take a while to propogate.... it
> seems better to give these people a static IP, even if it is a pain.
>
> Or - do you have a better solution?

We currently use ETRN to handle e-mail for customers who use dialup and want
to manage their own e-mail accounts. The short of it is this, you set up
your mail server so that their mail is queued on your mail server. When thet
get back online, the exchange server initiates ETRN and asks your mail
server for the queued mail. We do not have to deal with any static IP's for
these customers.

You can read about ETRN in RFC 1985:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1985.html

Bryan