Date:      15 Apr 2003 16:37:01 -0400
From:      Fish <fish@fish-mail.com>
To:        m34d0w <wesr@mchsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware port prob

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 16:16, m34d0w wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just recently, I've been having a problem installing vmware. Until now,
> I could always install vmwareX fine, but now I get this message upon
> installing via ports:
>
> ===>  vmware3-3.2.0-2230 is marked as broken: Kernel source files required.
>
> My ports are fresh. Are there any special options that I need to add to
> my kernel?
>
> Thanks

No, you just have to have the kernel source available and on the system,
like it says.  If you're using 5.0-Release, install them from the CD via
/stand/sysinstall.  If you're using -Current, you should have your
source available already somewhere, just make sure the port knows where
it is.  If it's on the system but not in /usr/src, you could symlink
that to wherever you have your source.

Also, bear in mind that once you get past this hurdle, you'll have to
download a kernel patch that hasn't been committed yet, apply it, and
rebuild your kernel.

I can testify that VMWare3 works via the port, as I have it installed
and running.

Hope that helps,

Fish