Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:53:30 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <numardbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firewall rules for bitlord, yahoo, limewire

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:40:27 +0800
Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> I have inclusive firewall rule set which means only packets matching
> the rules are passed through. The inbound hight port numbers are
> blocked by design.
>
> How do other firewall users code rules to allow limewire to work?

Hi,
i think there are a few interesting posts in this thread (and several corrections about p2p 'evilness', which is good :P ).

A thread that may be of interest was started on net@ earlier in the year - look for :

From: Mike Makonnen <mtm@wubethiopia.com>
To: freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject: Application layer classifier for ipfw
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:02:29 +0300

- it refers to ipfw, not pf.
- I think there was at least another thread following up on this with working code,etc.

of course, DPI-style checks won't work (at all, or in a scalable fashion) as soon as users start encrypting their packets :P

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying  I approved of it."
  Mark Twain