Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:23:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      <mac@nibsc.ac.uk>
To:        PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu (Christian)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitoring traffic between two sites, How??

>From: Christian <PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu>
>To: questions@freebsd.org
>Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 09:47:32 EST
>Subject: Monitoring traffic between two sites, How??
>
>    I was wondering if there is anyway to use FreeBSD to monitor
>traffic between two sites.  I wan to be able to see how many users
>from certain ip addresses on our network are connected to another ip
>address. If possible I would also like to know, the duration of each
>session, and what port the users are connected to on the other end.

I've just tripped over a tool we're using here, called Interman.  It uses
the Ethernet interface on the local machine to watch all the network traffic.
Unfortunately it is only available in pre-compiled form I've seen
SunOS, Solaris2, decultrix, decalpha and sgi available on ftp-sites) and it
won't monitor serial line access.

>Is this possible using FreeBSD and/or some freely available tools?

You might talk them into releasing the source code for doing a port.  (The
source code is available at some cost).

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk

                 mac@nibsc.ac.uk  (also postmaster)
 Work: 01707 654753 x 285               Everything else: 0956 237670 (any time)