Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 01:24:29 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm fixing the build/install kernel target

Greg Lehey wrote:

> Here's what I think would make sense:
>
> 1.  Allow "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel" in /usr/src with
>     no options.  The results should be identical with the "make all"
>     and "make install" in /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL, where
>     MYKERNEL is the name of the currently running kernel.  The rule in
>     /usr/src can get the name from uname(1).

I don't think we should do this. Having a default of GENERIC, optionally
overridable by the user, is more "stable" then trying uname. Especially
in the light of upgrades where GENERIC is guaranteed to build, this
makes sense.

> 2.  Call the resultant kernel "kernel", not "MYKERNEL".  This is what
>     we're used to, and peter recently went to some trouble to remove
>     arbitrary kernel names.

Agreed.

> 3.  Put the build directory in the /usr/obj hierarchy, not the
>     /usr/src/sys/compile hierarchy.  That would (help) enable
>     read-only /usr/src.

Agreed.

The above implies, IMO, that we don't add support for installing
multiple kernels (and their corresponding modules, however we may want
to do that).

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org