Date:      Mon, 28 May 2012 13:38:26 +0200
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble booting 9-STABLE memstick on PowerBook G4

On 05/28/12 05:39, John W. O'Brien wrote:

> Hello freebsd-ppc,
>
> I am trying to install 9-STABLE (r236164, GENERIC) on a PowerBook G4
> (model #A1010) that has a gimpy optical drive, but I cannot get the
> memstick to boot. I know my way around i386 and amd64 reasonably well,
> but am new to freebsd-ppc and to Open Firmware. CC me off-list with
> replies, please.

Two suggestions:
1. It may show up in the graphical boot chooser that comes up if you
hold down "Option"
2. dd'ing the regular CD image to a USB stick may also work

It's also possible that your model of powerbook can't boot from USB. It
should, however, be able to boot from firewire -- in particular, if you
have a second powerbook/ibook/macbook you should be able to boot from
the other machine's optical drive if it is in target mode.
-Nathan