Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:20:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        dillama <dillama1@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The purpose of atrun

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, dillama wrote:

> What is the actual purpose of atrun? Doesn't cron do the same thing? (I notice that atrun is called by crontab).
>
> In a base FreeBSD configuration, is anything run by atrun?

You can look at man atrun and man at.

None of my installations have ever had anything installed in /var/at
except empty directories, so I don't think there's anything in the base
installation user "at" and therefore started by atrun.

Like user crontabs, users can be allowed or denied the use of "at". The
general impression one gets from reading the "at" manual page is that it
may be useful for running some resource-intensive routines at specific
times or times when resource use is low; but I think cron and crontab
are more familiar to most people and more flexible, so atrun and at have
fallen into dissuse.

I suppose (if you really cared) you could disable atrun in crontab and
find out if anything quits working, but somewhere there could be a script
you expect to work that uses "at" and therefore depends on atrun.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC