Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 10:41:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
Cc:        desar@club-internet.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   UNIX license issues (was: Searching an "old" BSD stdio)

On Saturday, 20 February 1999 at 22:05:38 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> Doesn't Kirk McKusick sell a complete BSD sources set on CDROM?  I'd
>> check the web page, but it appears to be inaccessible to me at the
>> moment.  I seem to recall that he required you obtain some kind of a
>> license from SCO first, though...
>
> The settlement agreement between UCB and USL, the terms of which
> are not permitted to be disclosed, made the Net and Net/2
> distribution supposedly "illegal".

No, it meant that you still required a license.

> Since you can't revoke a license granted in perpetuity (which is why
> Apple still has a valid license for the UCSD P system that they used
> to implement the original "QuickDraw"), DEC has declined to remove
> it from their gatekeeper.dec.com archive, as have hundreds of other
> licensees (even some institutions with more money than Bill Gates).

Having a license doesn't normally mean you can put it on an ftp site
for all comers.

> Net was BSD 4.2, and Net/2 was BSD 4.3.

You're a long way out.  4.3BSD came out in 1986.  Net/1 came after
4.3BSD Tahoe, in 1989.  Net/2 came after 4.3BSD Reno, in 1991.

> I believe Kirk sells the 4.4-Lite2 CDROMs.

Walnut Creek sells the 4.4BSD-Lite 2 CD-ROMS.  Kirk sells a 4 CD-ROM
set titled ``The CSRG archives''.  The first CD contains 1BSD, 2BSD,
3BSD and 4BSD up to 4.3BSD.  The second CD contains the remaining
4.3BSD flavours and 4.4BSD-Lite 1.  The third CD contains 4.4BSD and
4.4BSD Lite 2, and the fourth contains the SCCS files of the /usr/src
hierarchy.  They leave off just about where the FreeBSD repository
starts.

> If he sells others, it's only with proof of a Western Electric or
> later UNIX source license, to keep himself out of hot water.

Correct, you need a source license.  The easiest way is to get the SCO
license, which will cost you $100.  See
http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/getlicense.html for further details.

Greg