Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 23:36:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INN and mmap()

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Chad R. Larson wrote in message ID
> <9705060107.AA18210@chad.anasazi.com>:
> >    2) Is the 2.1 mmap() broken, or is there just a misunderstanding
> >       between the implementation and INN's expectations?
>
> Yes to both.
>
> >    3) Has mmap() been changed in 2.2 or 3.0?  If so, are the changes
> >       slated to be rolled into the RELENG_2_1_0 tree?
>
> RELENG_2_1_0 is a dead tree for stuff like this (and I believe the
> changes were too extensive too). Believe me, from experience,
> RELENG_2_2 works *MUCH* better for heavily hit servers like news
> servers. news.webspan.net has been running from the RELENG_2_2 branch
> for well over 8 months without any kernel problems, and with working
> mmap() makes things a bit better (some other local tweaks help too :) )

We upgraded a news server from INN 1.4unoff4 + patches running on
RELENG_2_1_0 to 1.5.1 running on RELENG_2_2 and I was amazed by how much
less memory the new server took.  innd took a third of the memory that it
did before.

Not sure how much of that is due to 1.5.1 vs. 1.4unoff4, but a lot is due
to the much better malloc() in 2.2.

Only problem we have with that server is that once in a while the
profiling clock (aka. "alternate system clock" by systat -v) dies and
needs a poke to restart.  Isn't a huge deal since I just restart it from
the initialization code of a lkm, but it cna be annoying.