Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:50:11 +0100
From:      Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>, Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RSI-basher?

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

* Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net> [0806 00:06]:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:22:44PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > My hands/wrists are starting to give out. I'm spending 10+ hours a day =
at a
> > screen having done so now for maybe 15 years, and no matter how many br=
eaks
> > I take, the ergonomic setup of my desk, whatever, I'm starting to feel =
the
> > onset of RSI creeping in.
> >=20
> > So, I want to see what keyboards you guys are using. Is the painful swi=
tch=20
> > to Dvorak worth it? Have you found a particularly decent keyboard that =
is=20
> > incredibly comfortable?
> >=20
> > I'm currently seriously considering:
> >=20
> > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=3D1&item=3D511353646=
3&ssPageName=3DSTRK:MEWA:IT
> >=20
> > but $300 is a lot to blow on a keyboard. Even if it does have an emacs =
mode.=20
> > Anybody used these and reccomend them, or condemn them?

These are absolutely brilliant. I would be typing this with my nose if it w=
eren't for mine,
as it is I am still doing development work and sysadmin with only the odd i=
buprofen to keep
me healthy.

Some of the best features are:

* universal support - no drivers needed, every OS I've used it with (*BSD, =
Linux, win*, mac os*)
sees it as a USB hub with mouse and keyboard attached.
* flash updates using a piece of Java - you also get a GUI then to configur=
e all the perks
* it will 'talk' to you if you press all the corners for 2 seconds by spitt=
ing a (C commented)
  status string to stdout, then you press a key to change config so you don=
't even need to exit vi^W the other editor.
* mousing (and arrow keys) on the keyboard stops all that pain when you rea=
ch for the mouse
* it can switch layouts - I think Dvorak, Qwerty and Qwerak are in the late=
st ROM - *without* needing
  a layout update in the OS : so if you use Dvorak you set that in the keyb=
oard and don't need to configure
  each OS - win2k in particular drives me potty since it has per-app keyboa=
rd maps, I avoid all that with
  this.
* zero force makes a big difference, the trick is remembering you don't nee=
d to thump it, which I'm finally
  getting the hang of.
* portable (comparing to hiring a secretary to type for you, although not q=
uite as cute)
* sturdy - I've used mine pretty much daily for about 3 years and it's stil=
l good, once in a blue moon the
  connector needs a push in but thats no biggy.
* it fits over most laptop keyboards so you can use it anywhere - there's a=
 macintouch version out soon=20
  that replaces the standard iBook keyboard
* LOTS of features - when I have a spare 45 mins I try to learn a couple mo=
re, this months favourites are=20
  crtl, alt,shift and capslocks without having to stretch your pinkies - in=
 general if any keypress
  is uncomfortable, learn the chord  and thats that. The 'open bookmarks in=
 IE' stuff is ok, but it's the
  shift key and ctrl that you use every day...

the only other feature I'd like is changable overlays - they do printable o=
verlays, but paper wears out.
I got the QWERTY version, then switched to Dvorak and it would have been ni=
ce to see where an odd character is,
but if you're learning to touch type on it its simpler to download the prin=
table overlays and stick them
on either side of the monitor.
Hunching over a keyboard to type a script will make RSI much worse, and I'm=
 faster typing now than I ever was
before the RSI kicks in.

All in all they are really well made bits of kit, I agree they're a bit pri=
cey but it's the best 300 dollars
you'll ever spend if it means you can keep working. And the 'wow, nice keyb=
oard'/'what the f_ck is that, it looks
like a stealth fighter' geek points are a nice bonus...

any specific questions feel free to mail me.

Dick

--=20
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them that
Benjamin Franklin said it first.

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs--