Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:36:01 -0500
From:      Jerry Hicks <wghhicks@ix.netcom.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: where is xman ???

J Wunsch wrote:

> As Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > Unless I am doing something wrong, I am unable to find xman -- and
> > perhaps some other programs are missing -- in the XF86331 binaries
> > compiled for 2.2.5
>
> It seems to be missing from recent XFree86 releases.  It was supposed
> to be built separately (it's not in the xc/ subtree, but in contrib/).
>
> (Cc to David Dawes and Rich Murphy)
> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Indeed, it was not in the binaries I got from XFree86 about a month and
a half ago.

W started having a lot of AfterStep crashes (always running Netscape
4.03b8) with that distribution about two weeks before 2.2.5-RELEASE.  It
would take out X and all;  several times a day.

Recompiled everything (world, AfterStep, XFree86 and contrib from ports)
and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Just out of paranoia, I've been
doing it along with STABLE updates every so often.

Question is, have the binaries been recompiled by XFree86 Inc. since
2.2.5-RELEASE?

Should this matter? It definitely -seemed- to for me.

We like the latest TkMan too...

Good Luck

Jerry Hicks
jerry_hicks@bigfoot.com