Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 16:14:40 -0400
From:      Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM portable filesystem abstraction?

Brooks Davis wrote:

[...]

> Ideally you'd like a file system that was fast, portable, and
> maintainable.  I'm not sure all three are really feasiable unless you're
> really careful about defining portable so the OSes in question have a
> decent set of common VM semantics available with reasionable overhead.
> That's not to say we can't dream or that research shouldn't be done in
> this are, but I think we're definatly in research land here.

Sure. I'm just surprised that this idea hasn't been researched more to date.
The current proliferation of portable storage devices is bound to generate
critical mass for this sort of technology soon (if it hasn't already).

I'm surprised that device manufacturers haven't sponsored this kind of
research yet.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,