Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:34:53 +0100
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Kitt Diebold <kitt-lists@connecticom.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium Pro vs AMD

> I have two hardware options available to me to put a web server on
> to, a Pentium Pro 180 w/ 256K cache, and an AMD 300.

Do you mean an AMD K6-2 300, running with 100MHz bus (the usual
configuration)?

If so, I think you will find it much faster in general than a PPro
180.

The area where the PPro will come closest is floating point; AMD's
floating point before the K7 is very poor (though the 100MHz bus
is a win for processing big arrays).

Integer performance is likely to be at least 25% better on the AMD.

And you can probably cheaply upgrade the AMD to a 400+Mhz version.

> Does FreeBSD take advatage of the Pentium Pro's wider
> bus?

I didn't know it had one!  The PPro's big advantage was the on-chip
cache running at processor speed, but if processor speed is 180MHz
that's not such a big deal now.

-- Richard