Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:00:45 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Rob Schofield <rschof@mccomm.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Motherboard & ChipSet pointers?

> > EISA should be avoided for SMP/technical reasons (which I have gone into
> > in detail in the past).  I highly recommend the Gigabyte GA586DX if
> > you want a P5 system.  P6 is an unknown to me.
>
> Steve, can you briefly re-hash these for me, or point me at a doc I
> can look at? This is worrying as I have picked up an EISA-based server
> expressly to run BSD!
>
> Any info gratefully received.

Some EISA systems do not connect the system clock (8254) to the IO APIC.This
requires "mixed-mode" programming the IO APIC AND the 8259 ICU.  I have
already written the code to do this and it appears to work.  BUT this is
a small in-efficiency for hard-clock INTs.  So far ALL EISA systems I have seen
use the ISA INTs 0-15 redirection capability for routing both EISA AND PCI
INTs to the lower 16 ISA INT vectors.  some (majority, but NOT all) PCI/ISA
systems route the PCI INTs to upper (ie above 16) IO APIC INTs, thus giving
you 4 or more extra INT vectors, helping greatly with the typical "not
enough INT choices" on the  ISA bus.  this fact is the major reason I
have for avoiding EISA boards.
you need to go thru the mptable database to see details about what
I am talking about here.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD