Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 17:32:55 -0700
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.org, jab@rock.anchorage.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Slow Etherlink

> > I have never seen the SIMPLEX entries before on other OS's. Can this be =
> > the problem or no? I have a 3com Etherlink III isa card installed the =
> > FreeBSD system of which I had in a Linux box previously.
>
> AHA! USEFUL INFORMATION ALERT!!!!!
>
> >From the file /sys/i386/conf/LINT:
>
> # ep: 3Com 3C509 (buggy)
>
> (3c509 == EtherLink III)
>
> The driver in FreeBSD isn't up to much I'm afraid, and has been slated
> for a re-write for a while. Unfortunately, issues such as kernel
> stability tend to take precidence.

On the other hand, I've been running 4 3C509's in an old 486-DX2/66
box running 2.1.0 for about a year now, and it's been rock-solid.
I no longer even have a monitor or keyboard plugged in to the box.
>From time to time, it gets unplugged.  We just plug it back in, and
45 seconds or so later, it's routing again.  To call it stable would
be an understatement.

No sarcasm here; but I'm still waiting for a coherent description
of the problem ....

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.