Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2007 00:13:53 +0100
From:      Jayton Garnett <jayton.garnett@gmail.com>
To:        Zafer Aydogan <zafer@aydogan.de>
Cc:        bh@izb.knu.ac.kr, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ..just like always off topic

Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> 2007/10/7, Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr>:
>
>> ..First of all, I am not native English guy,
>> ..so always I'm very sorry for poor English.
>>
>> There are so many people here in FreeBSD mailing. And many people are
>> professional about FreeBSD, I think. I also use FreeBSD as main desktop.
>> But I have no such good knowledge for FreeBSD. I just use -RELEASE
>> branch every time. So pkg_add/pkg_delete is everything what I know.
>>
>> >From now on, I am thinking about to do good with FreeBSD in real life. I
>> am now a biology student of a small university, as graduate course. But
>> there is no FreeBSD's role in my work. All work is performed by
>> MS-Windows.. My FreeBSD box is just as good as dummy. It's sad story.
>> What can I do for my work with FreeBSD? I'm really want to do my work
>> with FreeBSD.. word-processing, printing, statistics, ...
>>
>> Could you please give me some advice..? I'm tired now, however, I'm
>> willing to listen to any comments.. any complain.. any thing.. for
>> advance..
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>

> If you want to use FreeBSD for your work, you should first find out
> what tasks your work
> requires and then try to accomplish them on FreeBSD.
> For example, for your word processing work OpenOffice or Abiword would
> be suitable.
>
> Cheers, Zafer.
>

>> --
>> Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr>
>>
>> The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of
>> play.
>>                 -- Kirk, "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.8

Yes I agree with Zafer, list what you will do with your workstation and
from there you can build a software list by either asking (as you have)
or using the ports page. Using keywords you can find a vast number of
applications for most day-to-day tasks and even those once in a blue
moon tasks.

Just give the ports page ( http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ ) a search :)

Cheers,
Jayton