Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 05:18:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Timothy R. Platt" <tplatt@nethampton.com>
To:        Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post breakin log

>On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Wilson MacGyver wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> My FreeBSD box get hacked about two days ago... yes yes, via the popper.
>> I reinstalled the system, but saved the log. I was looking through to
>> see what he has done. There is some stuff you may find interesting...
>>
>> the log from history follows.
>>
>> >From the log, it seem he is very knowledgeable about FreeBSD.
>> though I must admit, I don't get why he makes the /dev/sync.
>> also, I don't know what the deal with the bnc* stuff

bnc, or bounce, allows people to bounce irc sessions off your server.. ie
they sit at home with their mirc running, connect to your machine which
relays to an irc server.. thus producing your.compromised.server.com as
their hostname on irc.

Funny thing is, if you have any decent logging, you can log their IP.

Tim