Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 10:22:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        SimsS@infi.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptek 1542 on other ports

Pavlov's Cat writes:

> > At the boot prompt, instead of hitting return or just waiting, type
> > /kernel -c.
> > This will put you in an editor that will let you change BSD's idea
> > of where the SCSI controller should be.
> >  Once installed this way, you will have to boot the same way each time
> > or eventually rebuild your kernel.
>
> This has been bugging me for a while - I really appreciate the
> ability to arbitrarily re-vector the hardware stuff sorta on-the-fly
> like this.  In fact, many times it's been the only way to get a box
> up and running short of building a new kernel on another box.  But...
>
> Why is it that if a J. Random User goes thru the drill of configuring
> the plethora of non-standard locations for his misbegotten hardware
> setup, must he not only remember how he got the thing to boot, but he
> must also re-enter this stuff *every*flippin'*time*he*reboots*.

Because the software hasn't been written?

I doubt that Jordan and David are slapping themselves on the forehead
now and saying "Of course!  It would work better if we SAVED
userconfig someplace!"

Julian had a suggestion inspired by an OSF approach for some separate
file that you load at boot.  I'd propose a kernel-zapping ioctl
that modified the on disk kernel after you were up and running if
I wasn't afraid I'd get chased out of town.

"-c" has helped many people get the distribution booted.  It isn't
fair to suggest that because it doesn't dance it shouldn't come
out on stage to sing.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936