Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:36:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        imp@bsdimp.com (Warner Losh)
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with rl network card

Warner Losh wrote:
 > From: Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
 > > Anatoli Marinov wrote:
 > > > Unfortunately the patch with simple new code for vendor in .h file didnt
 > > > work. See the attached file. It is verbose dmesg after booting.
 > >
 > > Thanks.  These are the important lines:
 > >
 > > > pci2: child re0 requested type 4 for rid 0x10, but the BAR says it is an memio
 > > > re0: couldn't map ports/memory
 > > > pci2: child rl0 requested type 4 for rid 0x10, but the BAR says it is an memio
 > > > rl0: couldn't map ports/memory
 > >
 > > Uhm, strange, why do both re and rl try to attach?  It's
 > > clearly not an re device.  Did you make any other changes
 > > to the source code, beside the one I told you?  Something
 > > seems to be confused there in the drivers.
 >
 > re and rl have attach code that allocates resources and talks to the
 > card to see what revision the card is.  That's why he's seeing thsoe lines.

I see.  I thought the drivers would check the vendor ID
and chip ID first, and not do anything with the card if
they don't match.

 > > However, it seems that the driver cannot alloacte the PCI
 > > resources correctly.
 >
 > This likely means that this card isn't a realtek interface.

According to the PCI IDs (0x81391904) it's a realtek 8139
card, or a clone thereof:

http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=1904

But then again, I've never heard about that vendor, so
it might be something alltogether anyway.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

Passwords are like underwear.  You don't share them,
you don't hang them on your monitor or under your keyboard,
you don't email them, or put them on a web site,
and you must change them very often.