Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:58:21 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssh not setting DISPLAY

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:31:59PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On Friday, February 16, 2001 15:23:17 -0800, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecuri=
ty.org> wrote:
> +-----
> | It's not the default because it allows the remote system to snoop your
> | X display, and that's not something you might want so we default to
> | being secure.
> +--->8
>=20
> That's interesting, since the sshd manpage from openssh says:
>=20
>              Note that disabling X11 forwarding does not improve secu=AD
>              rity in any way, as users can always install their own for=AD
>              warders.

There are two different programs with two different defaults.  sshd
defaults to enabling X11 forwarding because it does not decrease the
security of the server, it just annoys the users.  In the other hand I
believe ssh (the client) defaults to disabling it because it gives root
on any host you connect to with forwarding enabled the ability to launch
arbitrary applications on your X server which is a security risk if you
don't trust the server.  The issues are entierly unrelated between the
client and the server.

-- Brooks

--=20

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF