Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 22:44:59 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Wes Morgan <morganw@engr.sc.edu>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ntpd hanging machine

Peter Dufault wrote:

> It's probably almost safe to run a program
> rtprio or idprio if all you do is compute during that time and
> you're paged in, don't handle signals that way, etc...

	I ran rc5des idprio'ed for well over a year on 2.2.8, 3.2+ and 4.0
systems and never had a problem. Sounds like it fell just into your
parameters here though. Perhaps a stern warning in the man page(s) is in
order here? I had no idea I was making land mines for myself here. :)

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"