Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:01:53 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

>} The drive will reinitialize to the 'power on state' if the power fluctuates
>} into a zone that might invalidate it's run-time state.  It doesn't take a
>} very long spike for the drive's power-glitch sensor to go off.  In this
>} case, dropping cached contents on the floor is much safer than attempting
>} to continue from an unknown state.
>
>If that's the reason for the problem that I saw, then the UPS the
>system was plugged into wasn't sufficient to prevent the problem.

Why is that?  Do you have gremlins walking around hitting the reset
buttons on your machines?  The UPS should isolate the machine from
any drop in power that would cause it to lose its brain other than
that caused by a hardware failure or an administrator hitting the
reset or power switch.

--
Justin