Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:10:49 +0200
From:      Marc Schoechlin <ms@LF.net>
To:        vezku@surfeu.fi
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: enteprise account management

Hi !

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:35:40AM +0300, vezku@surfeu.fi wrote:
> I'm planning to run FreeBSD on a system with +5000 shell/mail accounts.
> What account management solutions are available? New account applications
> will be made via a web form so this feature would be good.

> Am I stuck with making my own scripts? Are there any good commercial
> systems out there? I've heard about Novell solutions, but they are damn
> expensive. Thanks.

What`s about using OpenLDAP ?

http://www.openldap.org/

With OpenLDAP you can:

* store your user-accounts in a centralized database
  (replication is also possible)
* define your own attributes
  (usernames, passwords, adresses, mail-aliases, customer-data,
   user-rights,....)
* program your own management-interfaces in many
  programming-languages

Many applications are able to use LDAP-directories for authentification and
configuration - but there is also the possibility to use the pam-ldap-module
to import the ldap-users as regular system-users.

There are also some gui- and web-based management-tools available.....
(If you like this - look at freshmeat.net)

Regards

Marc Schoechlin

--

Gruss / Best regards  |  LF.net GmbH        |  fon +49 711 90074-413
Marc Schoechlin       |  Ruppmannstr. 27    |  fax +49 711 90074-33