Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:50:42 -0700
From:      Dan Debertin <airboss@bitstream.net>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>, Albert Chin-A-Young <china@thewrittenword.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing help

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Nick Rogness wrote:

> 	NO, it is not too different.  It is hard to work with the upstream
> 	provider to announce anything smaller than a /24.  However, some
> 	of them do run other Routing protocols that you could
> 	accomplish the same thing (In some cases) and they are
> 	usually easier to work with on that level.  Or maybe he's
> 	multi-homed within the same provider...
>
> 	Either way, it's a pain in the butt to work with these people.

Hey now. Keep in mind the responsibilities of your upstreams. They have
around 80K BGP routes to manage; the feasibility of announcing and
propagating something smaller than a /24 is laughable, when the majority
of your routes are /19 and the like. Even if they did agree to run BGP out
to you for your /28 (or whatever), somehow getting other providers to
accept the announcement (most of whom will neither accept nor announce
anything smaller than a /24) would be impossible, and undesirable, even if
it were possible.

The best way to do what he wants is to have a large-ish (larger than /24,
anyway) netblock that is portable, i.e. obtained from ARIN or other
registry, not leased from one of the upstreams, and run BGP to both,
advertising a lower MED to the preferred (primary) ISP, and a higher one
to the backup. Such a setup would also require an AS number.

With a smaller netblock, he could run another routing protocol such as
OSPF. You might run into problems if your address space isn't portable,
though. It would make it technically more difficult, as well as
administratively, as I doubt that ISP A will really want you advertising
its prefixes to ISP B. I am making a leap in logic here, though, so
correct me if this is inaccurate.

~Dan D.

++ Dan Debertin
++ Senior Systems Administrator