Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2020 17:01:03 +0400
From:      Igor Pokrovsky <ip@unixway.org>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loader hangs on the latest -STABLE

> On 24 =D0=B0=D0=BF=D1=80. 2020 =D0=B3., at 13:55, Eugene Grosbein =
<eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
>=20
> 24.04.2020 11:26, Igor Pokrovsky =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=88=D0=B5=D1=82:
>=20
>> Hello all,
>>=20
>> I haven=E2=80=99t been using FreeBSD since 8-STABLE times. Recently I =
tried to install latest 12-STABLE on my old computer.
>> But even during initial boot up loader hangs. Eventually I was able =
to proceed with installation after replacing loader in=20
>> the installation disk with one found in my old system 8-STABLE. The =
same happened when I tried zfs on root partition.
>>=20
>> I used MBR partition on PATA hard drive. Motherboard was ASUS A8V =
(Athlon64).
>=20
> Modern FreeBSD versions use newer vt(4) console driver that defaults =
to pixel mode rendering
> and depends on correctness of ACPI tables of motherboard's firmware =
much more
> than old syscons(4) console driver that is still available.
> You should try escaping to the loader prompt first and run these =
commands:
>=20
> set kern.vty=3Dsc
> boot
>=20
> Try it and see if it helps. If so, don't forget adding "kern.vty=3Dsc" =
to /boot/loader.conf
> after installation.
>=20

Yes, I tried sc, but it doesnt help too.

I attached my drive to Promise RAID controller and system boots just =
fine now.
Probably the cause is in hardware, failed controller was made by VIA.

ip