Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:49:38 -0700
From:      Don Wallwork <don.wallwork@stelhq.com>
To:        hosokawa@Makefile.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3Com Etherlink III 3C589D PCMCIA Card

Trying to get my 3C859D card up and running, but I can't seem to
get it going.

System info:
	NEC Versa 2635CD Notebook
	Pentium 133
	16M RAM
	FreeBSD Version 2.2.2

PCMCIA info:
	3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
	IRQ 10
	Driver: ep0

I have been through the FAQ's & mailing list archives for FreeBSD &
PAO, installed the PAO patch, but so far nothing has worked.

The following items were checked:
	The pccardd daemon correctly recognizes insertion and
	removal of the card. (No problems w/ IRQ allocation)

	Ifconfig shows the correct settings for the PC.

	Netstat -rn shows the correct routing table entries.

	Tcpdump is able to see network traffic, but when you
	exit tcpdump, it reports that about 1/3 of the packets
	were dropped by the kernel.

The problem is that you can't contact another host.  e.g.: Ping to a
remote machine fails.  (About 1 in 300000 packets get a response.)

Any suggestions?  I could definitely get another card if that is the
problem, but I want to make sure that the card that I switch to will
work.  Are there any preferred cards?

Thanks,

Don Wallwork
Stanford Telecom