Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:01:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      ADRIAN Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, dyson@iquest.net, wes@softweyr.com, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System V init (was: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:

> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > OK, but you can do this in System V as well.  I still haven't seen
> > anything that explains what System V init will do (and BSD init won't)
> > that we need to implement automatic startup and stopping of
> > subsystems.
> >

> on SYSV I can say
> init "run-level-less-than-database"
> init "normal-run-level"

	How many run-levels are you proposing?  There are only 7 standard
ones, AFIK.  I cannot really see adding runlevels for each type of
subsystem a practicle.

> I. e. in SYSV  dependences between subsystem are implicity stored in
> /etc/rc  dierectory tree.
>  X depend from Y --> X must start after Y ->
> /etc/rc/X.rank > /etc/rc/Y.rank
>    or if X.rank = Y.rank then  S<X-NUMBER>-X bigger than S<Y-NUMBER>-Y

	Every implementation I have see so far actually uses alpha-numeric
ordering.  Things being implicit and scattered in varions directories is
one reason I prefer the simpler, cohesive BSD rc's.

> for FreeBSD, I think, ideally is to have explicit graph of dependences,
> in some form, where init-states is marks of nodes on it, and during
> init close all nodes which have rank biggest then argument.
>
> may be in each rc.X implement command 'depend_from' which show
> all programs, after restarting of ones is nessesory to restart X.

	I'm not really sure this sort of dynamic behavior would really be
useful.  Systems tend to all boot in the same basic sequence, with soe
skipping certian subsystems that are not needed.

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]