Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 21:28:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        David@SkytrackerCanada.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where are xterm variables set?

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, David Banning wrote:

> when I go into X - I notice variables like TERM and TERMCAP have
> changed.
>
> Where are they set?

In xterm(1).  From the manpage:

           .......Termcap(5) entries that work with xterm include
       ``xterm,'' ``vt102,'' ``vt100'' and  ``ansi,''  and  xterm
       automatically  searches the termcap file in this order for
       these entries and then sets the ``TERM'' and  the  ``TERM-
       CAP''  environment variables.  You may also use ``vt220,''
       but must set the terminal emulation level with the decTer-
       minalID resource.

You can change the TERM variable with the '-tn' option.

-Paul.