Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 06:27:38 -0500
From:      Jeremy McMillan <aphor@ripco.NOSPAM.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accelerated X - Feedback?

I don't think all of the information is out on this problem. What were the
problem XF86Config settings? Can you redirect the XFree86 server's output to
a file and tell us what probed values the server came up with?

High/Low color is a video memory mapping issue, and screen resolution is a
combination of video memory and modelines. Do we all understand what the
server does and how it works, and therefore what to tinker with when it's
broke?

I'll admit, Creative Labs has some of the ugliest non-disclosure terms, so
XFree support for them will probably always be crappy, but you should be
able to get all VESA modes that will fit into your video RAM to work...

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 12 July 1999 at 13:56:19 +0100, Greg Quinlan wrote:
> > I am looking for some feedback from people using Accelerated-X.
> >
> > Is it the way to go?
> >
> > I have problems with configuring my ATI All-in-One Wonder Pro (Rage Pro)
> > (+Creative Voodoo 2 12MB)
> > and just want a good graphical user interface.
> >
> > I have looked at Window-maker (0.60) but I just can not get it to work above
> > 8bit colours and at low res.  ;(
>
> I've been using AcceleratedX and its predecessors since 1992.  As soon
> as XFree86 supports multiple displays, I'm going to switch.  It's
> expensive to keep up with the latest hardware, and it's difficult
> working with XiG.  Performance may be a little better, but with modern
> display boards, that's no longer the issue it used to be.
>
> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

PLEASE NOTICE: THERE MAY BE NOSPAM IN THE HEADERS WHEN YOU HIT "REPLY"!!!
Jeremy McMillan <aphor at  ripco.com> | Ask for PGP-2.6.2 or 5.0i
Chicago FreeBSD Users Group
http://pages.ripco.com/~aphor/ChiFUG.html