Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 08:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        yura@binary.net
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM as system disk

> Another option can be LSBSD -- on a 120M LS120 floppy disk. Those run less
> then $90 lately, the disk costs around $10 or so, but it's writeable and
> so on...
>
> That would eliminate all read-only problems, and FreeBSD can run
> beautifully on 120M.
>
> Copying those disks is also not a problem, obviously.
>
> I am not sure about support of those drives, though, since i've never had
> one myself.

My experience is that none of the removable media systems has the long
term duty cycle reliability necessary for the system disks.  I haven't
tried the LS120 yet; but I see nothing in the technology that would
cause me to expect them to be better suited for this purpose than a Jaz,
Zip, Syquest, etc. drive.

Note that I would be -very- happy to be proven wrong.  I keep one
machine as a multi-OS system so that I have occasional access to
environments that I don't use enough to dedicate a machine to.  To
avoid even the slightest possibility of any system install trashing
any of the others, I use removable system disks instead of multi-boot
systems.  Since none of the removable media drives has proven to be
sufficiently reliable, I've had to fall back to a caddy system.

-Pat