Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:45:32 +0100
From:      Dominic Mitchell <hdm@mistral.co.uk>
To:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail 8.11

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 07:10:25AM -0700, Holtor wrote:
> I've seen quite a few e-mails about people wanting the new sendmail
> 8.11 merged into -stable. From those replies that was supposed to
> happen this week. I haven't seen an MFC yet and its Friday. I am also
> one who wants to see this get MFC'd right away.

Personally, I don't give a damn.  I don't use it.  If it's that
desperate for you, you can always upgrade it yourself.

> On a personal level I think everything in /usr/src/contrib should
> be kept updated and watched very closely. Bind for example on is
> 8.2.3-T6B with T5B still in contrib. Some other things seem out of
> date too. Is this because of a lack of commiters or just people having
> no time or perhaps other reasons?

Realistically speaking it's probably down to available comitter time.
Remember that this is -STABLE, though so things don't want to be just
rushed in.  That breaks things for people.  The changes need to be made
carefully and tested.  Not only that, but the software needs to be
tested in isolation outside of the FreeBSD tree first, as well.

There's a lot to be said for not being first to rush new software into
everything.

-Dom