Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 00:00:59 +0100
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Jon Drukman <jsd@gamespot.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP T4000s Tape Drive problems

> I've got one of these HP Colorado T4000s SCSI tape drives

I had one of those.  In fact, I had four of them, one after the
other, and they all had the same fault except for the one that I
didn't even try because some of scsi pins were shorted out with
solder.  From the manufacturing dates it seemed clear that HP were
sending me other people's returns.  Eventually I just gave up -
a complete waste of money.

The problem was that they would appear to write correctly, but when
reading they would start shoe-shining and eventually just stop,
typically a few hundred MB in.  This happened in DOS too, so it
wasn't any kind of BSD problem.

Apart from that :-) it worked, streaming most of the time at about
500KB/s (which is what it should be).  I fixed a couple of minor
problems (this was back in 2.2, so the SCSI code is completely
changed) and if you look in the archives you should be able to find
them.  One was a harmless error message because it didn't support
locking the drive, I don't remember the other.

Someone from HP was unofficially very helpful about the SCSI problems,
but the hardware and quality control just sucked.

And they're horribly noisy too.

-- Richard