Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 22:20:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems after PAO -> 2.2.5 stable

> > > Tuple #6, code = 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 7
> > >     000:  21 08 aa 60 f8 02 07
> > >         Config index = 0x21
> > >         Card decodes 10 address lines, 8 Bit I/O only
> > >                 I/O address # 1: block start = 0x2f8 block length = 0x8
> >
> > You left out the part of the 'supported IRQs' or whatever it says.
>
> Ah.  No, I didn't - there isn't one.
>
> Does this mean that pccardd will prefer the IRQ from the CIS tuple over
> that from the pccard.conf file?

No, it won't.  But the card may not work if the IRQ from the pccard.conf
doesn't match the one in the CIS.  The FreeBSD pccardd doesn't do
anything with the CIS IRQ list in any case.

> > > This *works*.  To me, it is clear that the IRQ parameter from the
> > > pccard.conf entry is being propagated to the sio probe/attach.
> >
> > Yes, but in the CIS tuple, some cards claim to support only some
> > interrupts, so if you use a different interrupt for that index then they
> > don't work.
>
> Which component "doesn't work"?  The card has no idea which IRQ it's
> triggering, and AFAIK the pcic doesn't interpret the CIS, nor does the
> kernel, so I can't see anything other than pccardd that's at fault
> here...

Don't know.  If I try to use the first free irq for my ethernet card it
doesn't work (I can't remember which one it is, but it is free).
However, if it's one of the 'accepted' IRQ's, it does work.  I have no
good explanation of why this is the way it is, other than what I stated
already.

Nate