Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mdh <mdh_lists@yahoo.com>
To:        Andriy Babiy <freebsdathome@shaw.ca>, Niels Kobschaetzki <n.kobschaetzki@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPlayer does not compile (actually gio-fam-backend does not)

--- Andriy Babiy <freebsdathome@shaw.ca> wrote:

> > I'm trying to compile MPlayer but it just doesn't
> work because it
> > depends on gio-fam-backend and that does not
> compile. It always stops
> > with:
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
> > gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Any ideas what I can do?
> >
> > Niels

I ran into this issue as well.  It seems to have more
to do with a change to the gio-fam-backend port
requiring something recently added to the glib port.
This bug happened to me with glib 2.14 and I fixed it
by upgrading to glib 2.16 which is the version the
glib20 port currently installs.  This change in the
port must have happened recently, like in the past few
days.

The fix is to upgrade your devel/glib20 port to the
latest, and then go for the gio-fam-backend port.

> What does the output of uname and objformat look
> like?

This happened to me on 7.0-S, but I'd imagine it
probably occurs everywhere.
I'd guess that libgio is a part of the glib20 port
that was not installed by 2.14 but is by 2.16.
gio-fam-backend should probably do a dependency check
for it and if it isn't there, should upgrade
devel/glib20.

Be a better friend, newshound, and