Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:08:27 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Chip Wiegand" <chip@wiegand.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: post installation and /usr /var /tmp location

> I have recently been given some computers, not new but quite usable. One
> of which is a compaq prosignia 300 - 3 scsi 1.x harddrives, scsi
> cddrive, 32 megs ram, P90. I am going to install fbsd 4.2 on this
> machine and would like to put the /usr partition on one drive, and the
> /var and /tmp partitions on the 3rd drive. In Gregs book he shows the
> commands to move the /tmp and /var from root to /usr. If I name the
> second and 3rd drives usr2 and usr3, can I do just as easily move the
> /tmp and /var to usr3 and also the /usr to usr2? I am just trying to
> make the best use of the 3 small drives. I am open to any other
> suggestions from anyone who has come up against this situation.

Yes, that should work fine.

Since you're moving /usr, /var and /tmp, all that your boot drive will have
is / and swap.  I believe the default size of / is 50MB, and that swap is
usually allocated as 2 x RAM, which in your case, would be 64MB.  Hence,
your first 1GB drive would have <150MB of stuff on it, "wasting" 850MB.

Also, you may find that /usr may grow to be more than 1 GB, depending on
what you've got in /usr/home, /usr/ports and /usr/local.

Depending on what you're planning on doing with the machine, a slightly
different layout would be appropriate.

--
Matt Emmerton