Date:      Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:05:00 -0400
From:      James Jones <james@freedomnet.co.nz>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MIPS toolchain

Could you provide steps for building cross tool chain. I have not done it so=
 long. I have tried many different versions of howtos but all have fallen sh=
ort or I am not understanding. I need a toolchain for target 'mips-unknown-e=
lf'.=20

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 31, 2011, at 5:03 AM, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>=20
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, James Jones wrote:
>=20
>> Does anyone have a prebuilt MIPS tool chain?
>=20
> For FreeBSD-related MIPS work, I generally use the FreeBSD "toolchain" tar=
get followed by the "buildenv" environment, but that requires first building=
 a cross-toolchain using TARGET_ARCH and TARGET.  However, the result is a p=
retty sane compiler, linker, etc, setup for the MIPS of your choice (we tend=
 to use mips64eb).
>=20
> We also use the MIPS-provided SDE toolchain for Linux at the CL, but that a=
ppears to be out of maintenance, and I haven't found its bug density to be a=
ny lower, really, than the even more ageing FreeBSD versions of the tools. I=
n fact, there are some toolchain bugs I'm running into that manifest only in=
 the SDE toolchain and not the FreeBSD toolchain.  (Mind you, Philip has com=
mented that in building Uboot for MIPS, he's found FreeBSD bugs that don't a=
ppear in the SDE toolchain, so mileage varies).
>=20
> We're greatly looking forward to MIPS support for LLVM, which currently ap=
pears very premature indeed.  Someone from MIPS appears to be contributing t=
o it, however, and we (cl.cam.ac.uk) hope to provide some implementation sup=
port for that effort in the immediate future.