Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:07:56 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   moving an installation to another disk

hi there,

i just bought new disk, and want to move my existing freebsd
installation over. i could install freebsd afresh on the new disk, and
copy important files (/etc/* /usr/local/etc/*) over, but i'd rather
avoid that. i have more than just configuration files on this computer,
and i *don't* want to reinstall all the software if i don't have to.

btw, i've read /usr/share/doc/en/articles/formatting-media/, and tried
to format the new disk (ad1) using /stand/sysinstall (fdisk +
disklabel). i managed to let fdisk confuse me with the confirm dialog
after pressing "w", and answered "no" (don't write). the newfs disklabel
performed then completely confused the system. my existing (ad0s1)
filesystems disappeared, and i had to cycle the power. the box then came
up just fine, thank you, but what the fsck was that?

also, the /usr/share/doc/en/articles/formatting-media/ howto is
obviously outdated (the behavior it describes doesn't match that
observed in reality), and /usr/share/doc/handbook/disks-adding.html is
inaccurate just as well. for example, it says "Sysinstall will not
create entries in /etc/fstab for you, so the mount point you specify is
not important". excuse me, but this is bs. sysinstall will
oh-so-willingly (try to) mount the fs at the mount point specified!

first, i don't remember asking it to do that.

second, if you specify a mount point with another fs mounted, sysinstall
won't newfs the new partitions.

hrmpf. i've been sitting on this mail on and off for a few hours, and it
perverted into more of a rant than a support question. sorry for that,
here is the question:

how do i transfer a freebsd install from one disk to another? the disks
are different, so afaik dd is not an option.

also, the current disk is partitioned into /, /tmp, /usr, /var, and
swap, and i'd rather have just /boot, /, and swap on the new one.

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
4:42PM up 19 mins, 4 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.05, 0.03