Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:17:00 -0500
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@skyrunner.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   runing things from /etc/cron as a different user.

Sorry for the simple quesiton.  I'm just not sure what i'm missing.
I'd like to run mrtg from /etc/cron under a user mrtg.

I've chowned the binary and all the directories mrtg uses to mrtg:mrtg

Added the user
mrtg:BMcHSuYDieLc2:1002:1002::0:0:mrtg:/home/www/data/mrtg:/sbin/nologin

and put a line in cron:# MRTG
*/5     *       *       *       *       mrtg    /usr/local/bin/mrtg
/usr/local/etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg --logging /var/l
og/mrtg.log

But mrtg does not sucessfully run unless i change the line in cron to
execute things as root.

TIA

Peter Brezny
Skyrunner.net