Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 2015 20:53:30 +0100
From:      Dave <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smartctl

On Friday 27 March 2015 21:05:29 CK wrote:
> Regarding the unexpected loss of files from the filesystem under various
> loads, is the appended 'smartctl' data sufficient to make the determination
> that the loss of files while the operating system is in use could be due to
> the condition of the drive?
>
> I didn't think so at first, because:
>
> 1)  I would expect a FreeBSD error to the effect of "unable to read/write
>     /dev/ada0" or "block checksum does not match block data".
>
> 2)  I would expect that all data read/written to from a drive is verfied to be
>     correct by FreeBSD with checksums, and that it is guaranteed to be correct
>     if there are no serious and fatal errors reported by the operating system.
>
> But I may be wrong in these assumptions.  Anybody know for sure? I have never
> seen FreeBSD report any filesystem r/w errors. My past experience has only
> taught me that when a drive begins to make very bad noises, this generally
> accompanies obvious and serious problems; and that a drive fails when the
> mechanical parts fail, but not due to wear on heads/platters or other things
> that may cause failures that are not detected/reported by the operating
> system.
>
> I can't see how the loss of files could occur without FreeBSD noticing it and
> reporting on it.  Does FreeBSD just trust drives to do everything correctly
> at all times?
>
> --
>
> smartctl 6.2 2014-02-18 r3874 [FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE i386] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar WDxxxAB

Have a look around for the Western Digital HDD diags tool.  dlgdiag.exe.
Also available on the Ultimate Boot CD or downloadable as a bootable ISO image.
Personally, I use a bootable pen/thumb drive with a multiboot menu, one of
which is FreeDOS so I can run DOS based tools such as dlgdiag.exe

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=616&sid=2&lang=en

> [...]
> Serial Number:    WD-WMA9T1222658
> Firmware Version: 22.04A22
> User Capacity:    40,020,664,320 bytes [40.0 GB]
> Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
> Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
> ATA Version is:   ATA/ATAPI-5 (minor revision not indicated)
> Local Time is:    Fri Mar 27 20:35:32 2015 AKDT
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>
> General SMART Values:
> Offline data collection status:  (0x84)	Offline data collection activity
> 					was suspended by an interrupting command from host.
> 					Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
> Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
> 					without error or no self-test has ever
> 					been run.
> Total time to complete Offline
> data collection: 		( 2376) seconds.
> Offline data collection
> capabilities: 			 (0x3b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
> 					Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
> 					Suspend Offline collection upon new
> 					command.
> 					Offline surface scan supported.
> 					Self-test supported.
> 					Conveyance Self-test supported.
> 					No Selective Self-test supported.
> SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
> 					power-saving mode.
> 					Supports SMART auto save timer.
> Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
> 					No General Purpose Logging support.
> Short self-test routine
> recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
> Extended self-test routine
> recommended polling time: 	 (  42) minutes.
> Conveyance self-test routine
> recommended polling time: 	 (   5) minutes.
>
> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
>   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   102   099   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       3975
>   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   040    Old_age   Always       -       58
>   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   199   199   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       1
>   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
>   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   083   083   000    Old_age   Always       -       12540
>  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   253   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
>  11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0013   100   253   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
>  12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       57
> 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age   Always       -       1
This is a concern.  From experience, *any* reallocated sectors is a Bad Sign(tm)
It might depend on when this incident happened.  If that re-allocated sector was handled
some time ago, then it may be a one off.  If it's recent, then you can probably expect more.

> 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
> 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0012   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
> 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
A bad data cable normally shows up with lots of CRC error, so that's ruled out as good.

> 200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0009   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0
>
> SMART Error Log Version: 1
> No Errors Logged
>
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

Running the WD diag utility dlgdiag.exe will do the equivalent and more.

You might also want to run a RAM test too,  such as memtest86.
It's also on the Ultimate Boot CD or most Linux boot disks.

In my work, I've come across Windows BSOD error caused by faulty HDDs which
pass *all* tests where the client has multiple identical PCs and have already
re-imaged the HDD to eliminate s/w problems and the SMART logs show no error.

The worst case is that it's the motherboard.

Just for reference, we sometime get clients calling up to report that on
boot the BIOS/SMART reports that the drive is likely to fail soon.  Most
of the time, it's just that the PC keeps crashing and the SMART logs show
lots of bad sectors and/or other errors.  I would never rely on SMART to
inform me of pending drive failure.  It's best to check them every now and
then.