Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:59:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        rsmith@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /bin/csh script in GELI partition crashes 6.3-STABLE

     On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:51:41 +0100 Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:46:56PM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:01:26 +0100 Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
>> wrote:
>of
>ript
>ile
> on
>> >
>> >My /home is a GELI encrypted partition. I've never had problems running
>> >scripts from it, although my scripts are usually sh, not csh.
>> >
>> >What does the script do? Are you running it as root?
>> >
>>      The script displays a bunch of pictures as separate xv(1) windows.  =
>No,
>> I was running it under my own userid.  It is quite simple:
>>=20
>> % cat show
>> #! /bin/csh
>> set delay=3D2
>> set pixlist=3D(09 08 07 05 04 03 02 01)
>> foreach i ($pixlist)
>>         (nice xv $i.jpg &)
>>         sleep $delay
>> end
>>=20
>> The delay is simply to ensure the windows get opened in the sequence that
>> I want them opened.  The photos are in the same directory, and I run it by
>> typing "./show" in the directory.  If I type, for example, "xv 01.jpg&", =
>it
>> works fine in either the old location or in the GELI partition.  If I type
>> "./show" in the copy of the directory that is in the GELI partition, Free=
>BSD
>> reboots immediately.=20
>
>I've run your script on a batch of photos on a GELI encrypted partition
>without problems. This is on FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE amd64
>
>I would look at the X server. Since it runs as root and has access to
>/dev/mem and /dev/io an X bug could potentially screw things up quite nicel=
>y.
>I'm running xorg-server-1.4_4,1.

     I'm still running xorg-server-6.9.0_5, I believe.  Haven't yet felt like
wading through the swamp of troubles that seems to await those who upgrade
to 7.x, but will probably have to suffer through it soon.

>If you have it installed, try display(1) from the ImageMagick suite
>instead of xv. See if it makes any difference.

     There's a thought.  However, I think first I'll try setting the GELI
sector size to 4 KB to see whether that evades the bug.

>I presume you've checked for the obvious things such as out of memory or
>filesystem full?

     What do you mean "out of memory"?  And I only had the file system loaded
to about 45% after minfree.

>>      Maybe I should try GBDE instead of GELI.  I chose GELI for the=20
>> partition in question mainly because I was already using it for the swap
>> partition, but maybe it's still a little too green to be reliable yet.
>=20
>I've used it on my /home for years without trouble.
>
>=46rom what I've read, GELI is supposed to be more secure.

     Well, if I can get it to work and not cause instant reboots, I'll stick
with it.  Otherwise I'll have to play around with what works.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG