Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:54:52 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Jeremy Domingue <jer@hughes.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 11:02:45AM -0700, Jeremy Domingue wrote:
> Hey all...

Hi Jeremy,

> Finally, to my questions about FreeBSD:
>
> 1) First and foremost, I am wondering what issues I will face being a user
> very accustomed to linux. I know there will be differences between linux and
> FreeBSD, but can anyone outline some of the major ones?

FreeBSD is stable ;-) (no kidding)

FreeBSD has, like commercial Unix OS's have, a Basic OS that is
taken under source control (CVS). So error's will be fixed for the
future, the OS is getting more and more mature on the long run (and
BSD has seen an evolution of over 15 years ...)

> 2) Is there a way I can install FreeBSD without losing all of the stuff on
> the server right now such as user files, web pages, programs, etc? And
> possibly keep linux on there somewhere in case I ever decide to go back?

Make a backup using gnu tar, later restore the data ..

Or install the disk as 2nd disk on the other Linux machine.
Mount the 2nd disk as /disk2. configure the machine as NFS
Server, export 2, so you can easily mount the machines data,
and copy the files to proper places on the new FreeBSD machine.
If anything goes wrong replace the disks, and voila, you have
two Linux machines as before ...

> 3) Is anyone using SMP on FreeBSD with an Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI
> controller? Linux people keep telling me that this is not a good
> configuration for Linux... how about for FreeBSD?

Should run. But FreeBSD SMP is only available on -current, which
is a "moving target". For a production machine I'd still wait,
although -current rocks well for me personally ... But sometimes
there are situations, where changes in -current would drive you
nuts if it were a production machine ...

> 4) I know that the current build of FreeBSD is listed as development and
> should not be used in a mission critical environment, however, what are
> people's experiences with it so far?

It is work in progress, period ! It's the version, where the developers
test their new work ... though we all would apprechiate a -stable
-current, it's not possible to guarant.

> If it seems to be fairly stable, I
> would be willing to give it a shot... I really need the SMP support.

Hmmm, then you shouldn't blame us, if things screw up ...
Perhaps you first try installing -STABLE ... it's my experience,
that FreeBSD server outperform Linux machines ... Maybe the
migration is satisfacory enough for you ... If you need, you can
later migrate to -current via "make world" in /usr/src ... you only
have to upgrade the sources ..

> 5) Are there any other problems or issues I may face with my hardware
> configuration (listed below)?

Check the hardware compatibility list on the webserver ...
It's in the release notes.

> I would also be very interested in hearing from other previous (or current)
> Linux users' experiences with FreeBSD, and what comments they may have about
> the differences and advantages (especially stability-wise) to using FreeBSD
> instead of Linux.

More stability, more performance, upgrade paths, CVS repository,
separation of tested OS and ports collection, FreeBSD has a
single user mode, that you can enter during boot (Linux has not
and that's deep shit !!, sorry, a machine at work f***ed up and
I was badly missing single user mode ...).

I'm working in a company that offers Internet Services (ISP).
Linux has really it's quirks. Writing shell script's for administration
is a nightmare, because even one Linux distribution (here DLD)
changed paths of ustilities and the whole concept of config
files under /etc ... so it drives you nuts writing generic
scripts !

> Any input would be greatly appreciated....

done ...

> Only 24 hours till the next Linux crash... woo hoo!

Install FreeBSD and enjoy.

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?